AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Agilent Web Site Woes

Question asked by VRFuser on Oct 5, 2000
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"><HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"><TITLE>RE: vrf VEE 6.0 upgrade availability? LONG</TITLE><META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR><STYLE></STYLE></HEAD><BODY bgColor=#ffffff><DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Tahoma><SPAN class=840503619-05102000><EM>Yeah I AGREE - I have asked, emailed and now tried to email NAMES in articles I find in Trade Magazines </EM></SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Tahoma><SPAN class=840503619-05102000><EM>trying to get information on a 1394 /"Firewire" protocol or bus analyzer they have written about </EM></SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Tahoma><SPAN class=840503619-05102000><EM></EM></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Tahoma><SPAN class=840503619-05102000><EM>- todate - only mayo on the table and a few </EM></SPAN></FONT><FONT color=#0000ff face=Tahoma><SPAN class=840503619-05102000><EM>brochures on the VXI 1394 interface!  </EM></SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Tahoma><SPAN class=840503619-05102000><EM></EM></SPAN></FONT> </DIV><DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Tahoma><SPAN class=840503619-05102000><EM>And this after a call from one of their Managers investigating a "bad service" </EM></SPAN></FONT><FONT color=#0000ff face=Tahoma><SPAN class=840503619-05102000><EM>response I put in on the information I got from their web site. </EM></SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Tahoma><SPAN class=840503619-05102000><EM>Good luck all.</EM></SPAN></FONT></DIV><BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">  <DIV align=left class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr><FONT face=Tahoma   size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Davis JeffTEF-P25691   [mailto:Jeff.Davis@motorola.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, October 05, 2000   1:12 PM<BR><B>To:</B> vrf@lvld.agilent.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> RE: vrf VEE 6.0   upgrade availability? LONG<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>  <DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=193250519-05102000>I   agree -- Sorry to post a political viewpoint here, but it is time that someone   said something. I am EXTREMELY tired of this "vending machine" mentality that   companies like Agilent are adopting. You have to keep pumping in quarters to   get service or help. There "NEW" website is great in some ways, and HORRIBLE   in other ways. It is really difficult to get a contact number anymore. Maybe   they out-sourced support because it isn't a core competency?  Heck, it   took me a week just to be able to ORDER my VEE Pro -- </SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN   class=193250519-05102000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN   class=193250519-05102000>Getting any sort of useful help from Tech Support in   the 21st Century reminds me of that commercial on TV where the poor guy is   sitting in the diner and he says "I didn't want Mayo on this sandwich". The   waitress picks the top piece of bread off the sandwich and scrapes the Mayo   off on the edge of the table and puts the bread back on the sandwich without   saying a word.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN   class=193250519-05102000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=193250519-05102000>My 2   cents......sorry to vent</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN   class=193250519-05102000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>  <DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=193250519-05102000>Jeff   Davis</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN   class=193250519-05102000>Motorola IISG</SPAN></FONT></DIV>  <BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">    <DIV align=left class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr><FONT face=Tahoma     size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> rene debets     [mailto:rene@0fh.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, October 05, 2000 1:06     PM<BR><B>To:</B> Bombich, Anthony A ERDC-SL-MS;     vrf@lvld.agilent.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: vrf VEE 6.0 upgrade     availability? LONG<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>    <DIV><FONT size=2>Som weeks ago I was looking for application notes for my     8753. </FONT></DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>Couldn't find them easily </FONT><FONT size=2>(used to be     easy) so I</FONT><FONT size=2> sent a message </FONT></DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>to their web support complaining </FONT><FONT size=2>about     the new design and suggesting</FONT></DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>how the app notes would be easier to find.</FONT></DIV>    <DIV> </DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>Answer: they will NOT incorporate any suggestions for     improvements </FONT></DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>of the website since </FONT><FONT size=2>it was decided     that this (the current design) is what </FONT></DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>it's going to be. They would however </FONT><FONT     size=2>gladly locate the info that I'm looking </FONT></DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>for by hand for me and send it by     mail..........</FONT></DIV>    <DIV> </DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>I got all the info I wanted, but Greenspans productivity     improvement figures </FONT></DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>will take a big </FONT><FONT size=2>hit soon if     everybody is going to copy this web style. </FONT></DIV>    <DIV> </DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>Best regards, Rene Debets</FONT></DIV>    <DIV> </DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>Rene Debets</FONT></DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>Xintis</FONT></DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>Slot Hillenradelaan 23</FONT></DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>6432 JH Hoensbroek</FONT></DIV>    <DIV><FONT size=2>The Netherlands</FONT></DIV>    <DIV> </DIV>    <DIV> </DIV>    <BLOCKQUOTE     style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>      <DIV       style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>       <A href="mailto:Anthony.A.Bombich@erdc.usace.army.mil"       title=Anthony.A.Bombich@erdc.usace.army.mil>Bombich, Anthony A       ERDC-SL-MS</A> </DIV>      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A       href="mailto:'vrf@lvld.agilent.com'"       title=vrf@lvld.agilent.com>'vrf@lvld.agilent.com'</A> </DIV>      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, October 05, 2000 7:45       PM</DIV>      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: vrf VEE 6.0 upgrade       availability? LONG</DIV>      <DIV><BR></DIV>      <P><FONT size=2>I agree with Jeff.  I am a long-time HP-Agilent       customer/user of test and measurement hardware/software.  I am       reasonably familiar with their products, model numbers, and way of doing       things.  Yesterday, I was trying to find up-to-date information on HP       BASIC for Windows after the threads last week on that subject on this       list.  We have HP BASIC for Windows, version 6.32 and have HP Basic       applications running therein.  We have interest in upgrading to the       latest version (7.1) if sufficient added value is provided.        </FONT></P>      <P><FONT size=2>So I went to the Agilent Web site.  The path to get       to Agilent HP Basic was very non-intuitive and I had not known the product       number I am not sure I would have found the HP BASIC Page.  When on       the Agilent Home Page, in order to get to the Test and Measurement area,       you must click on a tab at the top, "Products and Services."  This       opens a pull-down menu that has a "Test and Measurement" line.        Moving to the "Test and Measurement" line opens another menu that includes       a dozen or so categories.  </FONT></P>      <P><FONT size=2>There are no "data acquisition" or "software"       categories.  I found you must click on "Other" or "More" (depends       upon which page the Products and Services tab was chosen) to get to a       "MORE" page that includes three choices. These are:  "Frequency and       Time Standards," "Mechanical and Physical Test Instruments and Systems"       and "Software - Test and Measurement Related".  Clicking on "Mech       & Phy Test Inst." yeilds a page with VXI and other equipment, but in a       rather strange hierarchy.  On the "MORE" page clicking on       "Software-Test & Meas. Related" takes you to a Page with redundant(do       not know why the two) Agilent VEE entries, but no reference to HP BASIC       for Windows.  </FONT></P>      <P><FONT size=2>So I said, Where is the Basic for Windows page?  So I       went back to "Products and Services," clicked on "More".  In a       small-print line menu near the top of the page "Test and Measurement" is a       hot link.  Clicking on it takes you to the "Test and Measurement"       page.  It includes mostly general info, a featured product, the       T&M 12 line menu, AND a "Product by Model Number" hot link.        Since I had the product no. for BASIC for Windows (E2060C) from the       earlier versions, I entered this number and found a hot link to Agilent       E2060C HP BASIC for Windows. WoW!  Finally there.  I still do       not know how to get there if I did not know the product no.  I know       that HP BASIC is not one of Agilent's Hot software products, but it IS a       software product and needs to be listed in the Test and Measurement       Software area. </FONT></P>      <P><FONT size=2>They say on the BASIC page that they are currently       improving this area of the Agilent site.  Improved structure for the       whole site is really needed!  There is probably a lot of information       on the Agilent page, but the structure of the Web site is so difficult one       does not know where to look or what terminolgy is used.  They need to       provide more comprehensive lists of subjects near the start that takes one       directly there and link that location to the related areas for purchase of       the products and support services.  HP BASIC can be purchased on       line, but there was no mention of sofware support, its options, or its       cost.  There is no reason these days why necessary information about       a vendor's products are not available on the web.  What is worse,       telephone contact numbers are not provided. </FONT></P>      <P><FONT size=2>For example, I clicked on "Software Support Services" on       the T&M menu.  It took me to a page with "Reponse Center" and       "Software update subscription" hot links.  In both cases there was       general information about these services at those pages, but no specific       information.  There was a "Contact Agilent for availability of this       service" message, BUT NO PHONE NUMBERS!  Duhh!  Who designs       these web pages???</FONT></P>      <P><FONT size=2>HP and Agilent make very good products, but their       customers have to be very patient sometimes.</FONT> </P>      <P><FONT size=2>Anthony A. Bombich,  Research Physicist</FONT>       <BR><FONT size=2>US Army Engineer Research and Development Center</FONT>       <BR><FONT size=2>at Waterways Experiment Station</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>Concrete and Materials Division, CEERDC-SC-A</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>Vicksburg, MS  39180</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>Ph: (601)       634-3238   e-mail: bombica@wes.army.mil</FONT> </P><BR><BR>      <P><FONT size=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>From:       Davis JeffTEF-P25691 [<A       href="mailto:Jeff.Davis@motorola.com">mailto:Jeff.Davis@motorola.com</A>]</FONT>       <BR><FONT size=2>Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 10:25 AM</FONT>       <BR><FONT size=2>To: 'Tim Hercamp'; Vrf@lvld.agilent.com</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>Subject: RE: vrf VEE 6.0 upgrade availability?</FONT> </P><BR>      <P><FONT size=2>I had to use the AGILENT main page to navigate through the       maze to contact</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>support. I submitted a FORM that       described the problem that you are having</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>now.....</FONT> </P>      <P><FONT size=2>7 days later - I received a phone call from an Agilent       employee with the</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>information needed to buy Vee       Pro. I received my copy a couple days ago. The</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>SURE DO need to make it easier to obtain information on their       website !!</FONT> </P>      <P><FONT size=2>Regards,</FONT> </P>      <P><FONT size=2>Jeff Davis</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>Motorola IISG</FONT>       </P>      <P><FONT size=2>-----Original Message-----</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>From:       Tim Hercamp [<A       href="mailto:thercamp@yazaki-na.com">mailto:thercamp@yazaki-na.com</A>]</FONT>       <BR><FONT size=2>Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 8:15 AM</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>To: Vrf@lvld.agilent.com</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>Subject: vrf VEE       6.0 upgrade availability?</FONT> </P><BR>      <P><FONT size=2>Hello all;</FONT> </P>      <P><FONT size=2>I've just taken a look on the Agilent webpage in an       attempt to find out if a</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>6.0 upgrade is available.       I didn't see any. Does anyone know if or when it</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>might be available?</FONT> </P>      <P><FONT size=2>Tim Hercamp</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>5Oct00</FONT> </P>      <P><FONT       size=2>---------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT>       <BR><FONT size=2>This is the "vrf" maillist, managed by Majordomo.        To send messages to</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>this maillist, just email to       "vrf@lvld.agilent.com".  Subscriptions and</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>unsubscriptions are done through the address       "vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com".</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>If you need       details, just send a message containing the text "help"</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>to "vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com".</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>---------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT>       <BR><FONT       size=2>---------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT>       <BR><FONT size=2>This is the "vrf" maillist, managed by Majordomo.        To send messages to</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>this maillist, just email to       "vrf@lvld.agilent.com".  Subscriptions and</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>unsubscriptions are done through the address       "vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com".</FONT> <BR><FONT size=2>If you need       details, just send a message containing the text "help"</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>to "vrf-request@lvld.agilent.com".</FONT> <BR><FONT       size=2>---------------------------------------------------------------------</FONT>       </P></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>  

Outcomes