AnsweredAssumed Answered

Genesys in Education

Question asked by lkarag on Jul 19, 2003
Hi I work as a teacher in radar and electronics at an army technical school in Sweden. I am about to buy a personal licens of genesys, and therefore I've joined this forum.

Been looking the videoapps at eagleware homepage...

I think that you should continue on the way you went into: Making various kinds of wizzards availible: Filtersynthesis, oscillators, etc.. Continue with that for more subcircuits:mixers, class A to E amplifiers, splitters and combiners, baluns,...
Oh I almost forgot ! A wizzard like "Magnetics designer" from Intusoft, so that one can simulate these various kind of multiple tapped inductors and transformers one encounter in RF-schematics.
I think you guys have set the trend here. Microwave Office's filter-synthesis wizzard is probably inspired by you.

Continue make more videos availible for download, because a videotutorial is always better than a written document.

As a teacher I would like my students to be able
to have the simulation results on the
schematic, like small graphs at arbitrary nodes, or "termometer-bars" at each node/branch showing the
instantaneous value of voltage/direction and magnitude of current. Phasevectors would also be interesting to be able to watch at arbitrary nodes, so that one can see how the phase has changed relative the source. And of course animation of the currents.
Of course that implies that the user would be able to step the simulation time.
Other features:
- "See" the charges building up in a capacitor.
-"See" the build-up of magnetic-field in an inductor.
-See the smallsignal equivalent of a drawn schematic
-See the filling of the calculation matrix as one is placing components.
-See how the calculation-matrix changes through a computation, and simultaneously be able to follow a pseudocode of the numerical procedures.
Of course I am not suggesting you to reveal your code for EM-simulation, but I suppose that you use a SPICE engine for the ordinary circuit simulations. It would have been nice if these computations could become more transparent with some kind of an animation.
I would also like to be able to see the Y,H,Z,S,abcd-parameters for each component that is placed when studying linear circuit simulation, so that the student can see that using the relations between Y,H,Z,C,abcd one could get the overall linear transfer-function

Example schematics also on big systems (old systems necessarily, without IC) with  a black and white TV-receiver(if possible with a simulation of the CRT, so that the students can see whats happening on the screen), a tranceiver, a one channel 20MHz oscilloscope  a simple FMCW-radar. I think its preferable to teach electronics on a big system, so that the students really understand that the circuits are not just something academic that has no use in real life. I call it top-down pedagogy. Students find it more interesting than traditional bottom-up teaching.

I am sure that one could become a millionaire selling Genesys Personal with a educational toolbox with the features described above only in Sweden(upper secondary technical school and universities).
Kindest regards,
Lasse Karagiannis  

Outcomes