AnsweredAssumed Answered

Parameters not being passed to AEL macro

Question asked by vgreer on Jul 28, 2003
Latest reply on Jul 31, 2003 by vgreer
I've written an AEL macro to make this double-spiral octagonal transformer.  It happens to work pretty well with its default values at the moment.  However, I've noticed that when I try to use it in the layout window, the parameters defined in my create_item() fuction don't seem to be passed to the macro.  This means that when I have a set of if() statements included that set variables to their defaults if the values passed are inappropriate, I get a beautiful double-spiral just like I want, but all the warnings defined in the if() statements are printed.  If I comment out the if() statements, some debugging fprintf() functions spit out a buch of zeros for the spiral verticies, which suggests to me that either all zeros are being passed to the function or uninitialized variables default to zero, which yields the effect I see.  

Anyway, to put this into a question, I wrote a file called octagon.ael that contains the create_item() function as well as set_design_type() and library_group() functions, all similar to those in the ic_art_b archive available on this site at

http://edasupportweb.soco.agilent.com/cgi-bin/show.pl?id=8837

The whole idea was to get the macro to show up in the Insert > Component... dialog in the layout window.  I also created a file called octagon_art.ael that contains the artwork macro functions.  Is this enough?  Is there some sort of configuration or additional file I need to create to get parameters to pass to the macro?  Let me know if you need more info and I could try to post code in a subthread (this system says the code makes this message to long).  

Thanks in advance for your help.  I've been looking through the AEL and Design Kit Development documentation for hints on what's happening with no luck and don't know where to go from here.  

vgreer

URL updated. support_admin @ Mar 3 2004  

Outcomes