AnsweredAssumed Answered

Optimizing a double-double balanced mixer in Harbec

Question asked by mingal on Oct 4, 2006
Latest reply on Dec 4, 2006 by mingal
All--

The need exists to optimize a currently produced passive mixer so that it meets next generation customer designs. The device specifications must not be divulged for all the reasons the thoughtful reader might expect. Still, we might also expect that flatness w.r.t. drive level *and* frequency, conversion gain, input match *at all three ports* to be considered. After discussing this with some of the kind fellows of Genesys, we have decided to post a 'sanitized' version of the mixer project on the Eagleware/Elanix forum for the edification of all.

You may refer to Vendelin, Pavio & Rohde's classic text, Microwave Circuit Design Using Linear and Nonlinear Techniques, p. 788 for an illustration depicting the mixer and its equivalent circuit. There is also a description of the mixers theory of operation in the neighboring text.

Before we begin, I want to solicit reader's preferences as to posting to this thread. For example, we might attach *.wsx files containing technical details in 'Notes' items, we might attach Word (tm) documents, or we might try to muddle along with plain ol' PHP mark-up language only. (If we can manage it, I'd prefer to exercise the *.wsx option, with an attempt at revision control of the files. What a grand adventure in web-assisted engineering teamwork!   )

I hope you will join in as we together attempt to achieve several goals-- to understand how to use Harbec in an important device class, how to use Genesys in a collaborative environment, and to make new friends and acquaintances, all at the same time.

Cordially,

Mark W. Ingalls  

Outcomes