AnsweredAssumed Answered

Calibration E/O and O/E for photonic measurement using PNA

Question asked by jaz on Oct 26, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 by mkelly
Hello,

I am trying to measure my DFB laser and photodiode. I would to seek for some technical consultation on methods of calibrating E/O and O/E measurement with PNA N5230. Below is the steps i intended to be carried out. Please advice.

For E/O calibration
1. Connect Port 1 to modulate 81490A reference transmitter and the output signal to  81495A-085  Reference Receiver Port 2.
2. Deembbed 81495A-085  Reference Receiver Response and run the test. Save the response to s2p file.
3. Replace 81490A reference transmitter  and replace it with DUT (DFB laser). Deembed Port 1 with calibrated s2p file
Queries: The reference transmitter has only 1310nm single mode laser model. However, my DFB laser is 1310nm multimode. If i use 1310nm single mode in calibration will this creates calibration error?

For O/E calibration
1. Connect Port 1 to modulate 81490A reference transmitter and received by photodiode. Load reference data of 81490A reference transmitter to Memory.
2. Take the Data Traces to divide by Memory data. This should give me the photodiode response if i am right...

Please advice me on this. Thank you in advance

Sincerely
jaz  

Outcomes