AnsweredAssumed Answered

N9000A: Preamplifier

Question asked by joro on Apr 14, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 by tabbott
Hello All,

I'm remote controlling a N9000A-series analyzer which has option P03 and P07 installed. Option P03 is a 20 dB preamplifier up to 3.6 GHz. Option P07 is a 35 dB preamplifier up to 7.0 GHz.
Is there any documentation related to this preamplifiers regarding what happens around the 'switch frequency' of 3.6 GHz?
- If a swept SA measurement is selected from 3.0 GHz to 4.0 GHz: Is the preamplifier being switched at 3.6 GHz such that the P07 is used > 3.6 GHz, and the P03 is used < 3.6 GHz?
- Is the center frequency of a swept SA measurement used to determine the preamplifier that is used over the complete span?
- Is the end frequency of a swept SA measurement used to determine the preamplifier that is used over the complete span?

To make it more complicated:
The maximum allowed reference level is linked to the use attenuation and the preamplifier gain. The maximum reference level is determined by a formula like: max-ref-level = -10 dBm + attenuation - preamp-gain
How is the N9000A-series analyzer interpreting the maximum reference level if a swept SA measurement is performed with a preamplifier switch frequency in it's span?
- Is the maximum reference level of a swept SA measurement determined by the preamplifier gain that is used at the start frequency of the span?
- Is the maximum reference level of a swept SA measurement determined by the preamplifier gain that is used at the center frequency of the span?
- Is the maximum reference level of a swept SA measurement determined by the preamplifier gain that is used at the stop frequency of the span?
- Is the maximum reference level of a swept SA measurement determined by the maximum preamplifier gain that is used by all the preamplifiers that are used during the swept SA measurement in that span?

I can also imagine that a swept SA measurement is performed from 3.0 GHz to 7.5 GHz. In that situation the last part of the swept SA measurement (from 7.0 GHz to 7.5 GHz) is performed without a preamplifier. How are the above questioned managed in that sitution by the N9000A-series analyzer?

I do not have access to a N9000A-series analyzer myself, so I can't check it myself.

Thanks in advance!
Joro  

Outcomes