AnsweredAssumed Answered

Port Extension in PNA E8364B

Question asked by vshdc@mst.edu on Sep 30, 2009
Latest reply on Oct 1, 2009 by Dr_joel
Hello All,

I am a research student in EMC Laboratory in Missouri University of Science and Technology.
I am measuring a stripline transition in one of my test boards.I want to obtain the S parameters of the DUT without the connector effect. I calibrate with E-Cal and then want to do port extension. I use the Port Extension Wizard toolbox in PNA E8364B. This is how i proceed after calibration.

1. I select " measure S11" option first. Then in the port extension menu i go to " Automatic port extension".
    a) In the configuration i select port 1 and disable port 2
    b) Then i connect my connector and click on " Measure OPEN". When it is done( tick mark visible) i close the automatic port extension.
    c) I see the delay on Port 1 as 78 ps and delay on port 2 is 0 ps

2. Now i select " measure S22" option. Then in the port extension menu i go to " Automatic port extension".
    a) In the configuration i select port 2 and disable port 1
    b) Then i connect my connector and click on " Measure OPEN". When it is done( tick mark visible) i close the automatic port extension.
    c) I see the delay on Port 2 as -82 ps and delay on port 2 is 78 ps

Why is my delay on port 2 is negative ? Am i doing something wrong ? The PNA help file does not give much details. Please give me suggestions.

Regards,
Vysakh Sivarajan
Graduate Research Assistant
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Missouri University of Science and Technology  

Outcomes