AnsweredAssumed Answered

Setting up Reference planes with TRL Calibration using 8510.

Question asked by jkichline on Jun 10, 2008
Latest reply on Jun 12, 2008 by dgun
Sorry for triple posting. When I clicked "submit" it gave me an error so I tried two more times. I didn't realize it actuall posted... Can the moderators consolidate this into one post? Thanks!

Hi,

I am trying to understand exactly how to set up my reference planes in a custom TRL calibration. The goal is to measure capacitors from 1-5 GHz with the reference planes at the beginning of the mounting pads

I have designed my own CPWG TRL cal structures on Rogers 6010 (Er=10.2, Thickness=10mils, 1/2oz copper, TanD=0.0023).
W=9 mils, G=20mils.

I have a Thru (337 mils in length), a reflect (337mils in length), and a line (717 mils). I chose my line length to be 90° @ 3GHz (380 mils) plus my Thru Length. I also have a test structure with capacitor mounting pads. I'll try to sketch it here as best as I can...

Thru:
******          ******  GND
------------------------   SIG
------------------------  

Reflect:
--------┐      ┌---------  SIG
--------┘      └--------- 

Line:
**************             *************  GND
-------------------------------------------------   SIG
-------------------------------------------------  
**************              *************  GND

Test Structure
***** ┌┐ ┌┐******  GND
--------- |  |  -------  SIG
--------- |  |  ------- 
***** └┘  └┘ *****  GND

LineCalc tells me that my effective dielectric constant is 6.70 @ 3GHz. I used that to calculate my phase velocity (Vp=c/(Ee)^1/2)=1.158e8 m/s

If I want my reference planes to be 45 mils from the center of my thru (90 mil spacing), I calculate the time to be 19.74pS.

So I simply enter in 19.74pS as a delay for my thru for my calibration kit?
Is there a really good tutorial somewhere on how to set this TRL calibration up? Thanks!
-Jason  

Outcomes