AnsweredAssumed Answered

Oscillator Sensitivity/Yield Analysis?

Question asked by GWHITE on Oct 12, 2004
Latest reply on Oct 15, 2004 by mfredrik
I have an oscillator design, and I would like to make sure that it will oscillate over a range of component values.  Because "oscillation" is a binary sort of issue (it does or it doesn't), normal sensitivity analysis won't work.  I can do yield analysis, but it just tells me what my yield is.  I haven't figured out a way to interpret/plot the results to tell me what component values caused it to fail.  I can play around with tuning each component manually, but I don't want to have to go through that exercise each time I make a change.

The yield system should have the info I need, but I don't understand how to get at it.  For example, let's say I have an L & a C that I want to work with.  What I'd like to get is a plot of what range of values for each gives me 100% yield.  To make life more complicated, the results will not be independent.  I could do a surface plot, but I get stuck if I add another variable.  Because it's a Monte Carlo analysis, one option would be a list of all of the parameter combinations that worked.  It would be a pain to wade through but at least I could see what was going on.  There are a variety of yield variables, but I haven't found the section in the manual that explains exactly what they are.  Experimental plots haven't given any results that make sense to me.  They do warn you that if you ask for all of the simulation data, that it will be huge & slow the simulation down.  No where do they explain exactly what info would be contained in such a data set, or how to get at the bits I need.

I tried yield optimization, but that only comes up with a single value that it is happiest with, not a range, nor does it provide info on any interactions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Is there an example someplace that deals with this?

Thanks!  

Outcomes