AnsweredAssumed Answered

Playing nice in shared environments.

Question asked by vgreer on Jan 14, 2004
Latest reply on May 12, 2004 by MARNIKB
ADS Version: ADS2003
Machine: Sun Fire 880

I'm trying to design on-chip coils with Momentum using layout components and the schematic's optimization system.  I am forced to use a big and rather overused Sun server that was purchased with this network simulator called cplex in mind.  This server has 8GB of RAM and 6.5GB of swap space.  While this sounds like a lot, when two people are running this cplex thing, those resources get used up quick.  As the machine was bought with cplex in mind it tends to run at maximum priority.  

With all that in mind, here I come along trying to do EM simulation with Momentum and, low and behold, my simulations keep dying with ``Simulation Aborted Abnormally'' admonisions in the Momentum session window and low memory warnings in the shell in which I start ADS.  

I would like to know if there is anything I can do with ADS or Momentum to get it to sleep when resources are scarce or in some other way deal with the low resource environment without crashing.  I might also ask if I might actually be running into some kind of internal memory limit in the tool (the old Sun 2GB limit all the man pages warn about, perhaps) while I'm on the big resources subject.  

Thanks in advance for all help.
Vern  

Outcomes