AnsweredAssumed Answered

N9000A: How to detect if a preamplifier is present?

Question asked by joro on Apr 14, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 by tabbott
Hello all,

I'm remote controlling several N9000A-series signal analyzers. Some of them are N9010A, others are N9020A. Some of them do have a preamplifier option installed others do not have the preamplifier option. When a command is sent to activate or deactivate the preamplifier to a device that doesn't have a preamplifier, a system error will be generated.

My main question is: What is the best way to determine if a preamplifier is installed in a N9000A-series analyzer?

I'm currently using the *OPT command to retrieve the installed options. Based on the returned option-codes it can be determined if a preamplifier is installed. There are however several option-codes available which should be checked. I'm currently aware of the following options:
- P03: is up to 3.6 GHz, 20 dB gain
- P07: is up to 7.0 GHz, 35 dB gain
- P08: is up to 8.4 GHz, 35 dB gain
- P13: is up to 13.6 GHz, 35 dB gain
- P26: is up to 26.5 GHz, 35 dB gain
Maybe more preamplifier related option-codes are available. This is not a complete list!

In an ideal situation I would like to have SCPI commands like:
- [:SENSe]:POWer[:RF]:GAIN:INSTalled?   (which returns 1 if a preamplifier is installed, and returns 0 if no preamplifier is installed)
- [:SENSe]:POWer[:RF]:GAIN:GAIN?         (which returns the gain of the preamplifier that is installed. For example: '20' or '35')
- [:SENSe]:POWer[:RF]:GAIN:FREQuency:MAX?     (which returns the maximum RF frequency of the installed preamplifier)

I do not expect that any of my suggested commands is currently available, but is anyone aware of a more simple method to determine if (and which) preamplifier is installed?

Thanks in advance!
Joro  

Outcomes