AnsweredAssumed Answered

85033C cal kit definitions - offset delays

Question asked by scottrf on Oct 4, 2010
Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 by Dr_joel
I have an 8753C and a 85033C cal kit. Using VNA Cal Kit Manager (free software), if I read the 3.5mm cal kit definition from the 8753C or if I look at their canned 85033C definition file, it shows the offset delay for the short as 16.695ps and the offset delay for the open as 14.491ps. But, when I calibrate and then measure the standards they all seem to look like 16.695ps lengths. I am saying this because if I set port extension to 16.695ps, then the standards look like dots on the smith chart for the full 300k-3G sweep. This is the case whether I cal with a male or female connectors. Seems like all the reflect standards: male, female, open, short, are made to be the same length.

I am confused that the opens don't look like 14.491ps line lengths. Is my confusion caused by the Open also having a C0 and C1 term where the Short does not?

I am wanting to learn how to use VNA Cal Kit Manager to upload different standards, and I'm just trying it out with a known good kit to understand what I'm doing. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing.  

Outcomes