AnsweredAssumed Answered

86100B time base delay problem

Question asked by hudla on May 18, 2010
Hi all,

I have been trying to use the 86100B for long signals capture (e.g. 1 ms epoch of a signal when the time base is set to 50 ns/div). One screen can only show 4050 points, thus I'm saving the signal subsequently with different time base delay settings and then I join them together into one file (in the above mentioned example, I need to capture 2000 screens which makes over 8 millions of measured points). The measured RF signal and the trigger signal are stable (locked to rubidium oscillator). I would like to average the measured signal in order to eliminate jitter and noise.

When the time base delay is small, I can measure repeatedly and when average is performed, the result is a noise-free signal. In the case of large time base delays (e.g. 900 times the time base setting), the captured screens differ even if the RF signal is perfectly stable and the result of averaging is just a chaos (the oscilloscope is averaging each screen 16 times and then saves it to a hard drive). The attached figures illustrate the situation (samples with low index correspond to small time base delay and vice versa).

Is there any way to capture long time epochs without the time base delay error? Is my way of averaging wrong? Is there any way to lock the oscilloscope's internal time base to a stable external reference signal?
Thank you for any suggestions
Martin  

Attachments

Outcomes