AnsweredAssumed Answered

PNA-X Noise figure cal questions

Question asked by rok on Oct 26, 2011
Latest reply on Oct 27, 2011 by david_ballo
Hello,

In reading through the help file, it states that the .42 firmware's noise figure calibration can use a power meter instead of a noise source. I wanted to know what would be the effect on accuracy and uncertainty, versus the noise source method. Or are they both comparable to each other?

Also, if I am using the standard receivers to measure noise figure and I want to use an IF filter and a pre-amp, do I include it as part of the calibration process or not? I could not find any mention of it in the help file. If I do need to include it, do I have to perform any special steps during the calibration?

Finally, an Agilent rep told me that the only difference between taking the noise figure using the standard receivers and taking the noise figure with the dedicated noise receivers is that the one with the dedicated noise receivers hardware includes the IF filter and pre-amp built-in. So if I got an appropriate IF filter and pre-amp for my DUT and attached it externally to the standard receivers of the PNA-X, it will behave almost identically to the dedicated hardware noise receiver version of the PNA-X. Is that correct? I thought the dedicated noise receiver version of the PNA-X would be more sensitive and thus more accurate vs the standard receivers. So if I took a scalar noise figure using the standard receivers without any added external hardware, then would it be less accurate than if I took a scalar noise figure using the noise receivers?

A reply would be greatly appreciated.  

Outcomes