AnsweredAssumed Answered

Mixer leakage measurements

Question asked by andyTPE on Feb 28, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 by daras
Hello PNA-X Users,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction....

I am making Fixed IF measurements on a series of downconverters and the PNA-X is doing a good job of managing the external source (i.e. sweeping RF and LO to provide a fixed IF).  I would like to be able to maximize the number of measurements I can make per connection.

I want to be able to make the following measurements:
LO-IF leakage: need to sweep LO from f1 to f2 and have the PNA-X receiver attached to the IF port receive signals in the range f1 to f2
RF-IF isolation: need RF and LO (from f1 to f2 and f1-IF to f2-IF respectively) and have the PNA-X receiver attached to the IF port receive signals in the range f1 to f2
LO-RF leakage: sweep LO from f1 to f2 and have the PNA-X receiver attached to the RF port receive signals in the range f1 to f2

All measurements do not require phase, merely and amplitude measurement.  Whilst I can automate the PNA to set its receiver to the necessary frequency and control the LO within the same routine, are there any features within the PNA-X that I can use/re-use (in terms of measurements/external source control etc, calibration etc).

For example LO-IF measurements:

I tried to setup the mixer configuration to have the output track the LO (Output=0/1 x Input +/- 1/1 x LO) but it would not accept 0 in the numerator, nor would it accept 0 for a fixed RF frequency.  It is not obvious to me whether there is any built-in capability that I could use for the mixer measurements or whether I would have to step the source and PNA-X receiver and manage the cal and data collection myself.

I am working in the context of a 2 port PNA-X (RF port is P1, IF port is P2, LO is driven from external source)

Any ideas or guidance gratefully received,

Thank you

Andy  

Outcomes