AnsweredAssumed Answered

OUTPCALC Arrays

Question asked by SOLT_guy on Dec 6, 2011
Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 by SOLT_guy
Dear Sir:

I own a 8753C network analyzer (NA) and I conducted a one port calibration using 201 data points.

I obtained the calibration coefficients for the calibration using the OUTPCALC command and I used the sample program which is set forth in the 8753C programming manual (this same program appears to be identical to the 8753D program in the 8753D manual, as well as the other NA models).

The data returned to me was contained in a row vector with 1206 entries.

Since there is little, or no documentation, specifying exactly how the sequence of entries are returned to programmer I will need a little technical support (the programming language uses Agilent subroutines, macro commands, that are not defined explicitly).  Herein, please correct me with regard to the following data analysis.

Since my calibration coefficients are complex, I can take my 1206 entries and divide that number by 2, to obtain "complex value" entries.   This leaves me 603 entries.

Since I conducted a one port calibration, I know I have 3 arrays of data.   Therefore, 603/3 will leave me 201 complex values per array (this number corresponds to 201 points exactly).

Let me explicitly set forth the numeric index values for the arrays.  I use quotations marks with respect to the associated arrays that I have enumerated because I need to reference these arrays with respect to my data returned.    You can interpret these terms as "definitions" I have created so that the following discussion will be easy to follow.

"Array 1":  contains complex values 1 through 201.   (please take notice that complex value 1 (value 1 of the 201 values) is defined as the first two entries of the 1206 entries that you see when you capture the entries in a data file.  Complex value 1 is the "true" reference that I will refer to because its position in a data file is simple to identify (its the first two entries that you see in the upper left hand corner of the data file) and all other entries will be referenced with respect to the position of complex value index 1.

"Array 2":  contains complex values 202-402.

"Array 3":  contains complex values 403 to 603.

The following question is posed for verification purposes only because no explicit source can be found.  I would like to know the following information with certainty, not assumption. 

The 8753C service manual (page 3 of the "Error Terms" chapter) associates arrays 1,2,3 with error terms Ed, Es, and Erf.

Can you please match "Array 1" (= complex value 1 to 201), "Array 2" (=complex value 202 to 402), and "Array 3" (=complex values 403 to 603) to the terms Ed, Es, and Erf?

I know that the answer may appear to be obvious on paper BUT when you look at a data file, the file is nothing more than a collection of numbers and the sequence of how these numbers are output onto a file is not explicitly set forth with a numeric example.  (I know that yes, the sequence appears to be 1,2,3 but it is possible that the output  sequence could be 3,2,1 (or another variant)  and I want to associate the terms Ed, Es, and Erf with "Arrays 1" (= complex values 1 to 201) , "Array 2", and "Array 3" with certainty.  

Thank you for your past replies they were appreciated.  

Outcomes