AnsweredAssumed Answered

FORM1, FORM3, HEADER INFORMATION and DATA TRANSFER

Question asked by SOLT_guy on Dec 11, 2011
Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 by geeday
I read two different network analyzer programming manuals (8753C and 8753D) and both manuals say that the header information contained in the Hdr command is equivalent to #A.   The manual asserts that #A indicates a fixed "block" data transfer is to follow.

I read an Agilent webpage that seeks to explain data transfer formats for FORM1 and FORM3. 

This is the link to the webpage:

http://ena.tm.agilent.com/e5061b/manual ... format.htm

If you look at the section of the webpage entitled, "Binary Transfer Format,"  you will see that the file header is #6.

The webpage, which references programming the E5061B NA, says that the 6   "indicates the byte size of the <number of bytes transferred> part".

You will notice that #A and #6 are not the same.    I became curious about the subroutine macrocodes, "Hdr" and "Lgth" and I would like you to define these subroutines into their equivalent constituent forms in Rocky Mountain BASIC (RMB) or HTBASIC programming code form where I can directly substitute the these subroutines, instead of using the macrocodes, "Hdr" and "Lgth".

Since the <number of bytes transferred> part of #A or #6 is not referenced in terms of it function, can you please tell me what "number of bytes" is being referred to?  I need to know the number of bytes referenced to exactly what specific "group" (Note:  IEEE 64 bit (IEEE Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic (IEEE 754)) is a fixed number of bits (64 bits) - how does the number of bytes differ?).   What data transfer function does this grouping serve?

I have tried to look at the Hdr and Lgth terms when I wanted to analyze a Form 3, 201 point, one port, calibration data transfer (3 arrays)  and this is what I received:

DISPlay Hdr returned 9025.
DISPlay Lgth returned 3216. 

I believe this data comes from example 6C of the 8753 HP-IB Programming Guide (page 37-38) - Example program IPG6C.

Can you explain why I received these returned values when I attempted to display the Hdr and Lgth terms?    I would like to be able to decode these terms and have them fit your explanation.

Thank you for your past information and I look forward to reading your reply.  

Outcomes