AnsweredAssumed Answered

Triggering PNA in multiple windows.

Question asked by PNAUser256 on Jun 21, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 by daras
I am currently performing singular measurements on the PNA ie S21, S11 etc using a test executive I developed in LabVIEW. I display a progress bar that is calculated by querying sweep time and then multiplying by the no. of averages and finally applying an additional overhead (for safety). This has been adequate for now, but is not very accurate, I am currently investigating a better method that will aid me to be more acurate yet still show a helpful progress feedback and yet will hopefully be flexible enough to be able to perform mutiple measurements in different channels and windows. For example S-Params in one window and Noise Figure in another etc.

I would like some advice on the best way to approach this:

I have taken a look at the triggering model in the help file. What is the preferred method to manage the sweeping in an averaged measurement?
Here are the options as I can see them
1) Software controlled using channels and single sweep command while decrementing an average counter for each channel (allows sweep to sweep knowledge in control software for user feedback of progress through measurement(s)) basically (FOR EACH channel>FOR EACH Average>SWEEP) (any problems with this?)(My current favourite)

2) PNA controlled using the groups method (Not sure how this could be amped up in software to do multi channel/window)(unsure how to get an acurate progress status from this set up to feedback to the user)

3) Software controlled using manual global triggering/groups etc. (a combination of the above really)

Is there another better/more recommended way?

Have I explained this enough? what else do you need to know to help me decide the best way to do this?

I am an RF/Elec Eng who is now a full time LabVIEW developer. I sometimes struggle a bit to understand the demo text based code examples. So, I appologise in advance if this is in there some where.

Many Thanks in advance.  

Outcomes