AnsweredAssumed Answered

Application "garfield.exe" is the bane of my existence

Question asked by wolfman92 on Jul 4, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 4, 2019 by wolfman92

I've been using this Agilent 33522A AWG for 3-4 years in my lab.  It has had the occasional crash from time to time, but now the crashes are so often I can't use the machine.  A dialog box pops up saying "Application garfield.exe has encountered a serious error and must shut down", and the entire machine is locked, no serial communication, no GPIB interface, no front-panel, nothing.

At first I thought it was a firmware issue, since when I got the machine it had never been updated.  So after 2 different update utilities and 4 different firmware updates, I finally have the last one on the list (it's a discontinued machine), but the crashes still happen.

I've tried factory resets, I've tried wiping every piece of memory I have access to, nothing is making this error go away.  Sometimes I can use it for an hour at a time, sometimes I can't get through a solid minute of data taking.  It doesn't seem to be triggered by anything consistently, in fact sometimes it just crashes after booting and being left alone for 5 minutes.

Whats the deal, yo?

Outcomes