AnsweredAssumed Answered

Materials (Dielectric) Measurement

Question asked by bOb.ng on Nov 25, 2008
Latest reply on May 9, 2011 by bkhamaisi
Hi ,

:?: I have some questions regarding the materials measurement:

85071E-100:

1.     Must the MUT be placed exactly in the middle between the two antennas? How will the results be affected if the distances from the MUT to antenna 1 and MUT to antenna 2 are different?
2.     Is there any extra advantage for the metal plate used for calibration, to be the same thickness as the MUT?
3.     What is the minimum recommended size of the metal plate used for calibration relative to the antenna aperture size? I’m thinking that the metal plate should be sufficiently large so that the waves from antenna 1 do not diffract toward antenna 2 and mess up the reading. Must the MUT also follow the metal plate size?
4.     If the MUT is comprised of several layers of different materials, would the dielectric measurement be the ‘effective’ dielectric constant for all the different materials combined or would it be the dielectric constant of the outer-most layer?
5.     Do we need to recalibrate each time we change the measurement model?
6.     What is the difference between GRL and Gate Resp/Isol cal? I can’t find much documentation on this.

85070E:

1.     If the slim probe was immersed into a cup of water and oil which has separate layers, would the dielectric measurement be a combination of both layers or would simply be confused?
2.     Similarly to the previous question, but if the probe was immersed into a well-mixed solution of water, salt, sugar without having any clearly separated layer, would the dielectric measurement be the effective measurement of all of the materials combined?

Is there anyway to measure dielectric properties of anisotropic materials?

Thanks for your help!   

-bOb-  

Outcomes