AnsweredAssumed Answered

Acquiring average trigger rate via VISA?

Question asked by Janislav on Mar 15, 2019

I'm using an Agilent Infiniium DSO9064A to measure the dark current in a photomultiplier tube. I was wondering if I would be able to read off the triggering rate from the scope, possibly using VISA commands?

Consulting the Infiniuum programming guide, I've successfully implemented a PyVISA program that saves a bunch of waveforms when the scope is triggered -- I set up a falling edge trigger to catch peaks corresponding with the dark current. I'd also like to know the average time between these peaks -- or in other words, the average time between triggering events. The oscilloscope has a lot of fancy tools under the "Measure" category, including peak-to-peak time measurements (and time measurements between places where the trace crosses a certain threshold). However, it doesn't seem like any of these are truly measurements of time between triggers, which is what I'd like to know ideally.

Please let me know if I can provide any other useful information -- any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: To clarify, I'm interested in the trigger rate to find the "true" average rate of these pulses. Of course, my Python program could just record the times at which I record waveforms and work from there -- but waveform acquisition & digitization (:DIGitize) takes some non-zero amount of time, during which additional pulses might happen without being recorded. Thus, measuring the rate at which I record these peaks would give me my program's average sampling rate, which I assume is less than the average rate of this signal itself.

Outcomes