HP 9122C with HP 8753B - need getting-going and initial troubleshooting advice:
I have a new (to me - it's certainly used!) HP 9122C HPIB dual floppy drive and downloaded manuals. Inside the 9122C it is somewhat dusty (probably not good for the r/w heads on the drives) but appears complete and visually in good shape. The 8753B works but I've not had a floppy drive (hence what I'm trying to do now.)
I am trying to figure out what works, what doesn't, and whether I can eventually use the 9122C to save/recall data with the 8753B analyzer.
1. On power-up, the 9122C briefly accesses the two floppy drives (left, then right.) The red (power/status?) LED near the front of the PC board is lit and visible through slots on the front panel.
2. The 8753B is able to communicate with the 9122C - GPIB address on the drive matches setting on the 8753B and either floppy can be made to "do something" when I try to read, write or initialize.
3. I am using garden variety "HD" (1.4MB) floppy discs (this seems to match the recommendation in the 9122C manual, but if I'm wrong, please let me know!)
4. The right-hand floppy (1) can locate a file on the (previously LIF-formatted) floppy (containing one file of a known name) and appears it can read the file (however, the file was not saved on a 8753B so the 8753B cannot make use of the information in the short file). The floppy was formatted and a single file was saved to it elsewhere.
What doesn't work (everything else):
1. The left floppy cannot initialize, read, write or erase files. It does show activity (light) and sounds of spindle and head movement, but all attempts at operation end in error messages (I didn't reproduce those here, but will do so if suggested.)
2. The right floppy cannot initialize, write or erase files, and has only been tested to read (or list titles) on the one sample LIF-format floppy I have that was previously written. It does show activity (light) and sounds of spindle and head movement, but all attempts at operation end in error messages (I didn't reproduce those here, but will do so if suggested.)
3. Both drives eject mechanisms aren't very effective - I can push the eject button, but need to manually withdraw the floppy (which comes out without interference.)
4. Both drives insertion mechanisms aren't very effective - When I insert a floppy, the eject button doesn't pop out (into the disc-inserted position) unless I jiggle the floppy around a little; both drives do eventually seat the floppy.
I've not attempted the internal diagnostics described in the 9122C manual.
I've not attempted using a floppy head cleaner disc/solution (should I?)
I am looking for advice on how to troubleshoot further. Can I use a PC with KUSB-488 USB/GPIB adapter (which is able to communicate with the 8753B using vnahelp utility) to interact with the floppy drive? What software (on the PC) should be used?
Where can I find replacement floppy drive mechanism (it is unfortunately not compatible with garden-variety floppy drive as there is no separate power connector, etc.)
Thank you very much for any advice,