AnsweredAssumed Answered

2.4 GHz Insertion and Return Loss Testing

Question asked by freaklabs on Aug 25, 2008
Latest reply on Aug 29, 2008 by dgun
Hi. I'm new to using network analyzers, but I'm going to need to purchase one soon. I'm going to be designing an RF module for 2.4 GHz 802.15.4. I'd like to be able to do insertion and return loss testing to check if the circuit is properly matched to the RF radio IC as well as the 75 ohm connector.

Everything (MCU, radio, antenna/SMA connector) will be on one PCB so there will only be one bidirectional SMA port to do the testing from. I'm mostly interested to see if the impedance is matched properly so I'm looking to buy a low-cost network analyzer.

My questions are: would an 8714C be able to fit my needs? Is it possible to make a calibration set or would I also need to purchase this separately? and finally, is there any other recommendation for a network analyzer or tests that I should know about?

I'm on a limited budget since I'll be purchasing this with my own money. I'm currently working on open source RF protocol stacks (Zigbee for now) and need to make the hardware to go along with my software.

Thanks for any help.  

Outcomes