AnsweredAssumed Answered

Analog / Digital variances

Question asked by ScopeDope on Apr 29, 2018
Latest reply on May 3, 2018 by Fungible

Hello All,

I've recently purchased an MSOX2024A oscilloscope and I am enjoying it to no end. I've recently taken on the task of monitoring the atomic time signal broadcast from station WWVB in Fort Collins, CO. This time signal is based on a 60 kHz carrier and can be received by a very cheap receiver / antenna setup.

In measuring both the analog and digital signals from the station I have noticed that there is often a discrepancy between the pulse width as measured on the analog side versus the digital side. Variances can be as much as .07ms between the two at times. Sometimes the pulse widths are dead on exact but it is very infrequent.

My question is why there would be a discrepancy between the two measurements, given that the probes are both reading the same signal and ground pins of the receiver. The difference between the two gives me an uncertainty about which measurement is actually correct (or has less error?). I'd really enjoy hearing from anyone but try to keep the response on a somewhat layman's term basis.

Thanks to all for reading.

Regards,

Chris (New oscilloscope owner) 

Attachments

Outcomes