AnsweredAssumed Answered

IMD Measurement Using Frequency Offset Mode

Question asked by AndyL on Apr 24, 2018
Latest reply on May 8, 2018 by mirek

Hi,

I am trying to use the frequency offset mode of PNA-X to do the IMD measurement. But in generating the two tone signals, I noticed when I use more sweep points and narrower IF BW that each of the tone actually consists of two closely spaced tones  (about 15MHz apart)  of equal but -3 dB lower power than specified. In other words, I have now 4 tones. I tried different settings and found no clue. I am doing something wrong here. This is very strange. On the other hand, I happen t have the option 087 IMD application and tried that and found no such problem although it seems I cannot have as much control on the IF BW or resolution BW than I had with Frequency Offset Mode. I wonder if the additional tones are real.

The other issue I found is that I could not display the two tones (one from the PORT1 source1 and PORT1 source2) on one trace. For example, if I display R1 receiver response to check the incident signal, the menu requires me to specify the source as one of "NONE", "PORT1", "PORT2", "PORT3", "PORT4" and "PORT1src2". If I select PORT1, it will display the tone from PORT1 src1 but not from PORT1 src2. If I select PORT1 src2, it will display tone from PORT1 src2 but not from PORT1 src1. The Keysight application note however shows that I should be able to (I found my instrument menu different from that of the app note though, maybe due to firmware version, not sure).

Appreciate help on this,

Thanks,

Andy

Outcomes