AnsweredAssumed Answered

Trying to upgrade processor on N9020A from -PC1 to -PC6 gives BSOD

Question asked by swperk on Feb 9, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 by swperk

I have an N9020A MXA analyzer with a -PC1 processor running Windows XP. It has no problems and is in current cal from Keysight. Today I received the -PC6 Windows 7 processor upgrade from Keysight. Following the instructions to the letter, I backed up the calibration files and the license files, then removed the old processor and installed the new one.

The first time I powered it up with the new CPU, it booted and then began to run through a few screens. I wasn't watching closely, but after a few minutes it stopped with a Blue Screen of Death. The only option was to power it off and power it back up again.

The next time I powered it up, it showed the Keysight splash screen, then a Starting Windows screen, but when it got to the next screen that said "Setup is starting services" it stopped within a few seconds with this error message:

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click 'OK' to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

Clicking the "OK" button caused the MXA to reboot, but then it repeated what it had just done, stopping at the same place with the same error message. I have searched extensively, but cannot find any information about this problem.

I reinstalled the old CPU and the MXA started up just fine and ran perfectly.

What is going on and what can I do?

Thanks,
Stan

Outcomes