AnsweredAssumed Answered

Typical Power Output Data Needed

Question asked by SOLT_guy on Aug 2, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 3, 2011 by Dr_joel
Dear Sir:

I own a HP 8753C NA and a HP 85046A S parameter test set.  

When I set the NA power source level to 0 dBm at a continuous wave frequency of 50 MHz using the HP 85046A S parameter test set, I do not measure 0 dBm at the output port of the S parameter test set.    Can you tell me a point where it is typical to measure 0 dBm using a S parameter test set in circuit.   I am seeking a point that is specified to be 0 dBm by you, the manufacturer.   The point can be anywhere in circuit, it doesn't have to be at the S parameter test set.

Can you  also give me a typical power output measurement (dBm) for a correctly functioning NA measured at port 1 of the S parameter test set when the NA source power is set to 0 dBm at 50 MHz CW (S parameter test set step attenuators are not enabled)? 

Also, when I set the power source level to be 0dBm and I disconnect the S parameter test set, will the NA detect that a S parameter test set is not in circuit and, consequently, change its output power level.     In other words, does the NA compensate its power level output when the lossy S parameter test set is detected in circuit.    If this condition is true, can you tell me a typical power output measurement from the RF OUT port when the S parameter test set is not connected in circuit (0 dBm Source Level Setting)?  

Outcomes