AnsweredAssumed Answered

Suggestion to making finding PNA-X firmware easier.

Question asked by drkirkby on May 24, 2017
Latest reply on May 25, 2017 by jvall

I was looking to update the firmware from A.10.49.08 on an N5242A, but found it blinking hard to find where the firmware  was on the Keysight website.

Google did not work - usually I find this the easiest way to find anything on the Keysight website. So I thought I'd go to the Keysight website. I don't think my steps below are too illogical, but got me nowhere useful.

1. Going to the page on the N5242A N5242A PNA-X Microwave Network Analyzer, 26.5 GHz | Keysight (formerly Agilent’s Electronic Measurement) 
  2. There's a tab for "Support" so I go  there.
  3. There's a tab for "Drivers. Firmware and Software", so I go there
  4. There is a list of 7 items, one of which is "PNA firmware, manual, upgrade and support". That seems the most logical, although it does not say PNA-X, But I follow the link.
  5. That sends me here to a page that looks semi-promising, although there's no PNA-X mentioned. But it does have the title "PNA manual, firmware, upgrade, and support " The problem is, the latest version is shown as. 2014-09-01. I did not click download, thinking I did not want a 3-year old version.
  6. Had I actually clicked "Download" from the above page, it would have got me to the right place, but I quite reasonably thought it would download me a 2014 release.

See the screenshot below from my browser. I´ve highlighted the bits that show that the link has N5242A in it, but the latest software is dated 2014.

I did eventually find the PNA-X firmware on the na.support. bit of Keysight, at Keysight PNA Series: Firmware, Upgrades, and Support  (Don't ask what route I took to get there, as I lost track).

I should have known the http://na.support.keysight.com/  bit of the site was better than the main www.keysight.com

I'm sure glad that http://na.support.keysight.com/ exists!

So basically, unless I'm being thick, taking a fairly logical approach to find the firmware, leads one to a page suggesting the latest release is in 2014, so one might not be too keen to press the big red "Download" button.

Trouble finding firmware for N5242A

Outcomes