AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can you install a (driver?) without installing Keysight Command Expert?

Question asked by stumpja on Oct 21, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 by tomc

I have written a program in C# that controls an Agilent 34970A with a 34901A MUX card installed. I can channels 101-119, import the values, and display them. I connect to the instrument through a serial connection. I started off using IVI-COM drivers, but I have found them to cause issues, so I have switched to the lower level SCPI drivers. I got the bulk of my code working in Keysight Command expert, then exported it to C# so I could write my final program.

So this leads me to my question. In order to run my program I must reference the proper DLL, in my case Ag34970x_1_13.dll. However, also, I believe anyways, the drivers need to be installed for this reference to work properly (If this is incorrect, please feel free to correct me. I'm trying to learn here. I'll admit, I'm going slowly). If I try to run this program on another machine that doesn't have command expert installed, I get the following error: System.IO.FileNotFoundException was unhandled. It mentions a missing Keysight.CommandExpert.Scpi, Version=1.6.327.0 ... I'm fairly sure this is an installed driver.

So, In order to use the program I wrote, do I have to install command expert on every computer I want to use it? Is there a stand alone driver I can install. Ultimately, when I create an installer for my program in VS2015, the program would just work. 

Does anybody have any insight into this? Thank you in advance for your time.

Outcomes