AnsweredAssumed Answered

Synchronizing 2 M9210A modules with AS bus 2

Question asked by Adrian003 on Aug 13, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 by algoss

Hi,

I'm trying to combine 2 Agilent - M9210A Digitizers into a single "multiinstrument", by using AS Bus 2 connector and working in LabVIEW (2015) environment.

Sometimes it works like a charm, other times they simply don't want to combine. I get "Invalid handle session" or "Acquisition timeout" errors. Both from LabVIEW and from SFP.

For instance, in SFP I get an error saying that 1 instrument failed to calibrate, or "M9210A x2 calibration failed with code 0xbffa4900 (ERROR: Acquisition timeout), in spite of seeing all 4 channels combined in a single instrument (M9210A x2, Ch1...Ch4).

This is a "gentle" error, because sometimes I see that the instrument is reported as DC271, even if the Keysight Connection Expert identifies correctly the modules as being M9210A, in their correct positions within the chassis (M9018A - 18 slots).

With LabVIEW is another pain: I have power cycled the system tens of times. It worked nice and predictable. Yesterday.

I have checked the application again today. It worked a while, so I decided to get over this stage and check if the channels are synchronous. Didn't get there: before applying signals to the 4 channels, I have ran into same errors I thought were over. After calling "Agilent MD1.lvlib:Initialize With Options.vi" I get  "IVI: (Hex 0xBFFA1190) The session handle is not valid", having as a result the error -1074126846: "Maximum time exceeded before the operation completed."

I have succeeded to correctly identify the modules in SFP as being M9210A (and not DC271) only after I removed the AS bus 2 bridge. At that time, each individual digitizer initialized properly. Joining them back, gave the acquisition timeout error.

Obviously, I have downloaded most recent drivers and suites and bundles from Keysight. Also, have read (close to memorizing) all the programmer guides and references and manuals. Was a bit confusing, because I still don't know if they refer to "MD1", "M9210A", "U1904", or to many other product codes, grouped in all kind of ways. But this is only my frustration speaking.

What I would really appreciate, it would be a clear procedure to initialize this "multiinstrument". Is there a way to get a predictable behavior of the system from one initialization to other? Any suggestion is very welcomed!

Thank you,

Adrian

P.S. I've also been in MultiInstrumentAutoDefine an so on. Are these steps required, or are they obsolete, because it isn't come clear to me from any documentation.

Outcomes