AnsweredAssumed Answered

Insertion loss measurement of mm waveguide

Question asked by RustyFuryIII on Jan 21, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 by Dr_joel
Hi,

New to the forum, very new to measuring insertion loss in mm waveguide, or any waveguide for that matter. I have experience using the old HP8510 Network Analyzer, and have recently been introduced to the Agilent N5242A 10MHz - 26.5GHz PNA-X Network Analyzer. I've been asked to measure the insertion loss through several pieces of WR28, R band, mm waveguide. The problem is, each time I perform a "thru" CAL, via "response", when I try measuring the insertion loss thru the mm waveguide, I get gain. Something is not right. I've asked around and the people I've spoken to that have attempted to measure loss in mm waveguide, or any waveguide for that matter, have all reported the same thing, but no one knows how to get the correct measurement.

I know the WR28 has a Fe range above that of the N5242As capabilities, but I was asked to see what the loss was just below the WR28 Fe range.

Is there an option kit that I'm missing with the N5242A for working with waveguide? I've gone into the "system", and adjusted the impedence to 1ohm for waveguide. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
               rustyfuryiii  

Outcomes