AnsweredAssumed Answered

Multi-port de-embedding

Question asked by cgantz2000 on Aug 25, 2015
Latest reply on Sep 9, 2015 by cgantz2000
I'm using DIQ for multiple port relative measurements, as previously suggested. I'm using four coax to waveguide adapters on PNA-X ports 2, 3, and 4. Two of the adapters are used on both channels 1 and 2 of the pna. The third adapter is on channel 1, and the fourth adapter on channel 2, switched using the Aux trigger outputs. I would like to de-embed the four adapters. I have previously gotten s2p files using the Cal Plane Manager.

I've been using the Cal Plane manager to do the de-embedding, but it isn't clear if I'm using it correctly. Since I already have the s2p files, I select the Apply Adapter/Fixture radiobutton. On the next dialog box I choose Fixture A, select the VNA port that one of the adapters is connected to and Browse to the s2p file for that port, and select the De-embed from Channels radiobutton.  On the next dialog box, I choose the PNA-X channel to apply the de-embedding to, then finish. I repeat this five times, so I get two adapters applied to both channels 1 and 2, and one adapter applied to channel 1, and one to channel 2.

Is this the right way to do the de-embedding, or is there some better way. I initially tried to de-embed from calsets, but it looked like running the Cal plane manager more than once just over-wrote the created de-embedded cal set. Also, what is the lifetime of the de-embedding? Does the procedure have to be re-done if the the PNA is restarted, or a new cal is done?

Also, on a slightly different topic, I want to do a delay measurement. Can this be done with DIQ, or should it be done using SMC+Phase, creating four additional channels.  

Outcomes