AnsweredAssumed Answered

Power Range on 8753ES

Question asked by stanleymyc on Jul 29, 2009
Latest reply on Jul 29, 2009 by stanleymyc
Hi all,

i have noticed that 8753ES has the power range auto and manual mode, but i cannot identify why we need dual option, as the new ENA/PNA did not has this power range selection, i wonder why we come out with this features for 8753ES? Can this increase the power source accuracy?

Thanks if anyone can enlighten me on this.

Cpy frm manual:
Automatic mode
If you select , you can enter any power level within the total operating range of the instrument and the source attenuator will automatically switch to the corresponding range. Each range overlaps its adjacent ranges by 15 dB, therefore, certain power levels are designated to cause the attenuator to switch to the next range so that optimum (leveled) performance is maintained. These transition points exist at -10 dB from the top of a range and at +5 dB from the bottom of a range. This leaves 10 dB of operating range. By turning the RPG **** with being the active function, you can hear the attenuator
switch as these transitions occur. See the specifications and characteristics chapter in the reference guide for the analyzer’s power limits.

Manual mode
If you select , you must first enter the power ranges menu and manually select the power range that corresponds to the power level you want to use. This is accomplished by pressing the softkey and then selecting one of the eight available ranges. The active power will always be reset to be within this range. In this mode, you will be able to select power levels above or below the range limits. The factory limits on setting power level are +6 dB above the maximum range power and -12 dB below the minimum range power. Typical performance for power overrange is 2 dB above the maximum (more at lower frequencies and less at higher frequencies) and typical under range is 6 dB. An under-range condition may cause a phase lock lost message to be displayed. When a calibration is active, the power range selection is switched from auto to manual mode, and PRm appears on the display. This feature is necessary to maintain accuracy once a measurement calibration is activated.  

Outcomes