AnsweredAssumed Answered

S11 Time Delay Measurement and Phase

Question asked by SOLT_guy on Jan 25, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 27, 2012 by SOLT_guy
Dear Sir:

There exists a relationship between time delay and phase and I would like to know exactly how my network analyzer measures phase for S11 measurements.   Specifically, how does the network analyzer (8753C) know the exact time [ when ] to sample the reflected signal for a S11 measurement?

Enclosed is snapshot of a measurement taken of a GR900 connector for explanatory purposes.    I used the electrical delay feature and dialed back to obtain 369.21 pS just to show that a specific time delay time is associated with a phase measurement.     At zero degrees, there is a baseline time delay measurement, I would like to know how does this time delay time arise at this specific point, also, how does the NA calculate when to take the time sample of the reflected signal?

I need to verify the phase measurements that my network analyzer is measuring for metrological purposes and I need to verify that my network analzyer is operating correctly, can you please answer these two questions.  

Attachments

Outcomes