AnsweredAssumed Answered

Use of 16047A to measure inductance

Question asked by smith on Sep 22, 2015
Sorry if I am asking in the wrong place, so please advise me if I am. 

We purchased a Keysight 16047A from Agilent, to use with an 4284A LCR meter. I realize the 4284A is unsupported, but this question is about the 16047A which we bought new. In any case it would apply to any current LCR meter. In any case, we are thinking of updating to a E4980A. 

I want to measure  the inductance & resistance of a thin wire, using the axial fixtures (part number 16061-70022) set at a spacing of 68 mm, which is one of 3 possible lengths with those parts (the others being 24 mm and 47 mm). 

The shorting bar shown in the manual (figure 1-3, of document 16047-90011.pdf) which I have attached, is far too short to go between this, so I have to use another shorting bar -  I am using a strip of copper about 10 mm wide, to have the lowest possible inductance and resistance. 

When I do the Open/Short compensation procedure to minimize the residue inductance and resistance, the meter shows an inductance of 0 and a resistance of zero. When I change to the wire, it shows new values of inductance and resistance. But I am not confident they are correct, since my short obviously has a finite inductance. Obviously if I was measuring a 1 Henry inductor, the errors in the short would be negligible. But when I am trying to measure nH values, I am concerned that the inductance of the device used to calibrate the LCR meter is creating a significant contribution to the error. 

Is there a solution to this? 

Is it possible to do an open & load calibration, but omit the short calibration for the load, but when using the load calibration try to work out the inductance of the load? 

John.  

Outcomes