AnsweredAssumed Answered

Setting TraceTitle property to any value turns on test port power

Question asked by andeezlemoyo on Nov 11, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 17, 2014 by jvall
Hi All,

I encountered some alarming behavior tonight, I am working with an 2-port E8362C, running firmware version, A.09.42.22.  Alarming because I'm using a booster amp and it was on at the time.  I'm monitoring power with an independent N1913A power meter.

From a user preset with test port power OFF, default power -25 dBm, with power offset of +25 dBm, which puts the source level at -50 dBm, using COM, I created a measurement and then I dabbled with changing the TraceTitle property of the measurement, as soon as I set the title to, "asdfasd," the PNA suddenly turned on the port power, IGNORING my offset.  My aforementioned independent power meter was reading ~24 dBm and holding quite steady.  Once I triggered a sweep, the power level returned to where I expected it to be.  My power offset averages ~25 dBm .  Very strange. Glad I didn't blow anything up.  Fortunately port 1 was only connected to a U2000A power sensor and not my N4691B ecal module. Yikes.

Everything works as expected, and needed, until I set the trace title property.  I wonder if anyone can reproduce this behavior.  It seems like a bug.  One thing for sure, I won't "dabble" anymore with the booster amp powered up, duh.  But the question remains why the power turned on and the power offset was ignored?

Thanks for any help,
Andy  

Outcomes