AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using N9081A Bluetooth Measurement Application on MXA Signal Analyzer

Question asked by jfb on Mar 6, 2015
I am using the N9081A Bluetooth Measurement Application hosted on an MXA Signal Analyzer N9020A to conduct the transmit tests outlined in the Bluetooth Test Specification (ver 2.0 + EDR).  Specifically, TRM/CA/01/C,  TRM/CA/05/C,  TRM/CA/06/C,  TRM/CA/07/C,  TRM/CA/08/C,  TRM/CA/09/C,  TRM/CA/10/C,  TRM/CA/11/C,  TRM/CA/12/C,  and TRM/CA/13/C.

My DUT is a TI BRF6300 Bluetooth transceiver controlled via a TI OMAP hosting Linux and Bluez.  Currently, I am using the hcitool utility with the "cmd" option to issue HCI commands to the BT transceiver to control what the device transmits (i.e. use vendor specific HCI command to transmit continuous packets using specified packet (e.g. DH1, 2-DH3, 3-DH5, etc), payload (e.g. ZOZO, PRBS9, etc) , length, power, and channel) based on the waveform called out in the specific tests.  I have coaxial cable connecting the Bluetooth device to the RF input of the MXA Signal Analyzer.

I have seen some literature (e.g. Agilent Bluetooth Measurement Fundamentals app note) discuss putting the Bluetooth device into loopback mode or TX test mode.  Specifically, this app note states in table 4 on page 10 that the Tx output spectrum-adjacent channel power test and the EDR in band spurious emissions test require loopback mode (whereas all the other tests can be accomplished with TX test mode).  The only pieces of equipment I have in my test scenario are the MXA signal analyzer and the Bluetooth DUT.  Can I perform my testing using just the HCI commands to transmit specified continuous packets?  I don't have a "master" in this test setup, so I don't believe loopback mode would be useful to me.  In addition, TX test mode requires a master to send POLL packets, so I don't believe I can use that mode either.

Any clarification would be useful.  Thank you.

Edited by: jfb on Mar 6, 2015 9:20 PM

Edited by: jfb on Mar 7, 2015 12:34 PM

Edited by: jfb on Mar 7, 2015 12:41 PM  

Outcomes