AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is there any "unsupported" way to change calibration kits in an 8753ES?

Question asked by drkirkby on Jan 12, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 17, 2015 by drkirkby
I updated the firmware of my 8753ES over the weekend, and noticed it added at least one cal kit. But it does *not* have the 18 GHz 85054B kit type-N kit, which is annoying, as I use that kit a lot. I know there is a user kit, but with only one, that is a bit limited, and I'd rather not tie up the USER kit with the 85054B. 

Anyway, I was wondering if there is any way to hack the EEPROM image (8753ES_7._74) I downloaded from the Keysight web site, to change one of the kits, to be an 85054B? (I can ignore the sliding loads) If for example I could over-write the name of the 85056K 2.92 mm kit and call it 85054B, *and* change the open and short parameters to that of an 85054B, that would be really helpful. It is most unlikely I am every going to use an 85056K, so I could suffer the loss of that kit if I could get an 85054B in there in its place. 

I realize that any such chang would be unsupported, and possibly risky, but then the 8753ES is unsupported anyway. I can see in the EEPROM image I downloaded (8753ES_7._74), the text 85056K exists, but I could not find where the coefficients might be stored. 

Is there a checksum of that file, which would probably block any attempt to modify it, unless I knew how the checksum was generated and where it is. 

Anyway, it is possible to share any details about that image, and where the offsets where the kits are, I would not mind trying to edit it with a binary editor. 

Dave  

Outcomes