AnsweredAssumed Answered

Doubts about the probe calibration 85070D in high temperatures

Question asked by danhen2014 on Jul 1, 2014
Dear Agilent technical support, 

I need help on some questions. I have some doubts about the probe calibration 85070D in high temperatures.

In 85070E software (menu "Configure Cal")  we can choose different types of calibration standards. Among the options, I use 
one which have Air - Short - Water as standards. 

There is an option to set the temperature of the water that I always use in my calibrations. However there 
are no options to change the temperature of the short and air. 

I understand that the temperature of the calibration standards interferes in reflection coefficient and consequently 
in systematic errors. According to practical tests, I found that if I set the water temperature 
to 25 º C and I measure a material at 80 ° C, the measurements are not accurate. But if I set the water temperature to 
80 º C and I measure a material at 80 ° C, the results (values of permittivities) are better, corresponding with the 
literature. 

The questions are:
*A)* The others calibration standards (short and air) shouldn't allow the definition of their respective temperatures, 
similar to what happens to the water? 

*B)* How can I state, that just changing the temperature of only one calibration standard, I will have the best measures? 

*C)* Are there articles that explain in detail how the change of temperature influences in reflection coefficient (of the standards) and
consequently in error terms ?

I'm grateful for technical assistance. thank you very much.

Daniel (Student Electrical Engineer - Masters)  

Outcomes