AnsweredAssumed Answered

TCL Programming

Question asked by robe0929 on Sep 5, 2013
Hey all,

I'm working at HGST and have been put in charge of controlling the 81134A pattern/pulse Generator through tcl.  My manager wants me to be able to talk and send commands with the generator over LAN through tcl script.  

So far, I have downloaded the Agilinet IO libraries and connected to my instrument over lan, See attached image.
This is were I'm lost, I can't figure out how to open a visa session and send command over tcl to communicate.  I downloaded tcl visa and tried the following command:

set rm [visa::open-default-rm]
set vi [visa::open $rm "ASRL1::INSTR"]

I've tried replacing ASRL1 with the Visa address given in the Agilent IO gui to connect over LAN, but that does not work either.  I'm not sure if this is correct method to open a visa session over lan, i've read that ASRL is just an alias for COM1 port, so thats not what I want. 

I also have tried to open a socket with the following commands

set chan [socket x y]        where x is teh devices ip and y is the TCPIP port 5025

I am a co-op here in my 3rd month so I am very new and unfamiliar with this.  I would appreciate any help with this task, or if you know of a better way to accomplish this that would be great too. step by step would be ideal.  Thanks!!  

Attachments

Outcomes