AnsweredAssumed Answered

How important are the fingers on female 3.5 mm connectors?

Question asked by drkirkby on Jul 8, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 by drkirkby
Someone sent me 5 parts from an 85052D economy 3.5 mm cal kit for testing - the female load was missing. 

On inspection, I could see there were no fingers on the 3.5 mm open and short - all were gone. No doubt someone has rotated them, or mated them to a poor SMA. The odd thing was, when plotting phase vs frequency, I could see no difference between the damaged ones and the good ones! It left me wondering just how important they are! 

This was my procedure. 

1) Inspect the female open and short and see they were damaged. 
2) Cleaned them. 
3) Put on connector gages from my 85052B kit, and found all 5 devices sent to me were within spec on the pin depth. 
4) Plotted phase vs frequency for the damaged open
5) Adjusted the scale so the plot filled all the screen, so I was using as many pixels as possible. 
6) Saved trace to memory
7) Disconnected the damaged standard and connected a good one. 

Much to my surprise, I could see no difference in the plots! The same happened with the short. I did not bother saving the S-parameters, but certin visually the good and damaged one were giving the same response 

This left me wondering just how important the fingers are, and whether a damaged female makes any practical difference - at least to the 7 GHz I was measuring. 

Dave  

Outcomes