AnsweredAssumed Answered

Adapter characterization macro problem and unknown thru with two ecals

Question asked by jlawrence6809 on Jul 25, 2013
Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 by bhokkan
I'm trying to verify that I can use the adapter characterization macro to characterize some non insertable adapters I have by testing it out on an insertable 3.5mm adapter. I'm not having much success. I am using an ecal to do the one port calibrations and I'm getting the results shown in the attached images, where the red data is the result of the adapter characterization macro and the white is the direct measurement. I am using an n5230a with the latest software.

If the adapter characterization macro doesn't work I could always do an unknown thru calibration with my non insertable device as my unknown thru, however when I walk through the wizard it only allows me to do the 1 port calibrations with one ecal module (I also have a type N ecal) at a time. This is strange since why would you want to do the unknown thru calibration with only one type of connector (versus the ecal as unknown thru)? Is there some manual way to do independent calibrations, save them as cal sets appended together, take the unknown thru measurement, and have it do the calculations for me?

I'm reading through Dr. Joel's book and am willing to do all of the math work myself but if there is a way to do it on the pna or in third party software I don't want to reinvent the wheel!

Thanks!  

Outcomes