AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Chinese characters

Question asked by VRFuser on Oct 18, 2006
Latest reply on Aug 14, 2007 by VRFuser
Thanks Vinod - I'll bear that in mind.  Really I'm posting with a minor warning for anyone messing with Chinese text in VEE:

After setting 'language for non-unicode programs' to Chinese, at least one of my VEE programs became unloadable.  I didn't record the error messages but there were dozens, all something like "Ignoring unknown keyword 'implementation' ", "Ignoring unknown keyword 'device' ", and others.

I changed 'language for non-unicode programs' back to English and the VEE prog loads fine.

_____  

Sent: 18 October 2006 08:16
To: VRF
Subject: Re: [vrf] Chinese characters

Warren,

This is not a solution, just a work around...

Copy and paste each word/phrase (Chinese text) into as many VEE Notepad objects. Make user functions, with panels for each of the functions. You could make a runtime library of all these functions. Use showPanel to display the functions as and when & where you need them.

And, by the way you can now embed pictures into the VEE code by using the "Notepad" object, rather using the "Picture" object which requires to load from a file.

-Vinod

----- Original Message ----
From: "Pickles, Warren" <Warren.Pickles@tycoelectronics.com>
To: VRF <vrf@agilent.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:17:43 PM
Subject: RE: [vrf] Chinese characters

Thanks to those who replied outside of the VRF.  I want to bring this issue back into the main forum, because I think it will become more and more important for ATE programmers in the future.

I have persuaded VEE to display Chinese characters.  I had to go to control panel, regional and language options, advanced, language for non-unicode programs, and selected "Chinese (PRC)"

BUT: 

It only properly displays characters that I copy and paste into the VEE source code.  I want to read characters from a given field in a MS-Access database and display them in a VEE message box.  When I try this, all characters end up as question marks.  Same reading in from an Excel file.  Reading in from a normal text file I get gibberish.

I can get the characters to display in the rich text box control, but only by using the LoadFile method.  That method only lets me display the entire source file, not for example just one line.

So, my options are to hard-code 40 different messages, or to create 40 jpeg files containing the characters, or create 40 rtf files to display in the rich text box.  None of those are satisfactory as you might imagine.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions, and I will of course let you know if I ever solve it.

Regards,
Warren

_____  

From: Pickles, Warren [mailto:Warren.Pickles@tycoelectronics.com]
Sent: 05 October 2006 14:57
To: VRF
Subject: [vrf] Chinese characters

Has anybody succeeded in getting VEE to display chinese characters?

(Apologies in advance if I don't respond to any replies but I'm off on hols in two hours and I've been asked to get this done this afternoon.  You know how it is).

Cheers,
Warren

---
You are currently subscribed to vrf as: Warren.Pickles@tycoelectronics.com
To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to
"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".

---

To subscribe please send an email to: "vrf-request@lists.it.agilent.com" with the word subscribe in the message body.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to "leave-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
To send messages to this mailing list, email "vrf@agilent.com".
If you need help with the mailing list send a message to
"owner-vrf@it.lists.it.agilent.com".
Search the "unofficial vrf archive" at "www.oswegosw.com/vrf_archive/".  

Outcomes