AnsweredAssumed Answered

QuickCal it not completing on N9912A if one tries to measure the load.

Question asked by drkirkby on Apr 20, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 21, 2014 by theamberco
I have a problem with QuickCal on the N9912A. When I got the instrument the firmware was at 5.x, and I believe at that point the VNA in this was working at least to some extent. I did not use it much before I upgraded the firmware to the latest (A.07.32 build 2014-03-1.16:32), but since upgrading, things seem to have gone pear shaped. I apologize for the quality of the photos - light was fading fast here. 

1) When selecting QuickCal, I get the choice to measure the load or skip the load (see first photo). This is what I expected. 

2) If I skip the load (second photo), the instrument reports 

"Performing calibration... 100%"

and then the right-most of the 6 keys in a line shows "Finish" above it. Pressing that appears to result in a calibration, though I am not convinced it has worked well - but that is another matter. The problem I am reporting in this post is in the next point. 

3) If instead of skipping the load during QuickCal, I measure it, the instrument takes a bit longer as it measure both the open and load. At the end of measuring the load it says 

"Performing calibration... 100%"

But there is no text by any of the buttons. There is *not* the work "Finish" as there was when I skipped the load. 

Essentially, I don't think the QuickCal is working at all if the load is measured. The only button that seems responsive after doing a QuickCal and measuring the load is the ESC key. If I then press ESC, followed by CAL, I can see the error correction is off. I do not believe the QuickCal has completed. 

Is this a firmware bug, hardware bug, or my brain cells not working properly? 

Dave

Edited by: drkirkby on Apr 20, 2014 9:47 PM

Edited by: drkirkby on Apr 20, 2014 10:05 PM  

Outcomes