AnsweredAssumed Answered

Real time current measurement using c

Question asked by aviram on May 27, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 by MattC
In the past, I have created and used a simple Labview VI (later built in to an exe) that continuously quarry and chart on a graph the current consumption used by devices I power with my HP66312A power supply.
This tool is useful in identifying an issue when troubleshooting power-on failures etc.  attached1 is a screen shot of the Block diagram of my Labview program. When I run it, the output looks like attached 2.

I am trying to convert this application to a pure C# application. I was able to use the Agilent Command Expert to build the commands I needed and ended up with this code:
(not the most elegant code, but bear with me since this is a first pass at writing/reading the power supply)

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            foreach (var series in chart1.Series)
            {
                series.Points.Clear();
            }
            double IMeasure;
            int Sample = 0;                
            int Voltage = Convert.ToInt16(NVoltage.Value);
            int Current = Convert.ToInt16(NCurrent.Value);
            string GPIO = Convert.ToString(NGPIO.Value);
            Ag66xx v6612C = new Ag66xx("GPIB0::"+ GPIO +"::INSTR");
            v6612C.SCPI.SOURce.CURRent.LEVel.IMMediate.AMPLitude.Command(Current, "A");
            v6612C.SCPI.SOURce.VOLTage.LEVel.IMMediate.AMPLitude.Command(Voltage, "V");
            v6612C.SCPI.OUTPut.STATe.Command(true);               
            Ag66xxx v66312A = new Ag66xxx("GPIB0::1::INSTR");
            Sample = Convert.ToInt16(NSpan.Value);    
            for (int i = 1; i < Sample; i++)
                {
                    v66312A.SCPI.MEASure.SCALar.CURRent.DC.Query(out IMeasure);
                    chart1.Series["Current"].Points.AddXY(i, IMeasure);
                }
        }

It uses a given time set by NSpan to quarry the bus and store it in an array then it pars the results onto a graph. attached3 is what my output looks like. This works well to record a triggered style analysis, but I want to be able to do this in real time.

The problem I have is that I don’t know how to use C# to continuously quarry the current and chart it in real time the way I do using Labview. every time I try to use a while or a do loop to read current, my program hangs.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks,  

Attachments

Outcomes