AnsweredAssumed Answered

Latency and missed triggers in the "Burst Power" mode of N9030A

Question asked by florentlecocq on May 2, 2014
Hi, 

I'm trying to acquire at the faster rate a train of identical power burst and average on-board using a PXA N9030A.

Here is my test setup:

- An arbitrary waveform generator 33522A generates a train of pulse (50 microsecond duration) a frequency "f", both on channel 1 and channel 2.
- These pulses drive the external I/Q port of a vector synthesizer E8267D (7GHz, 0dBm)
- The microwave pulses at the output of the synthesizer are sent to the PXA N9030A. The PXA is setup into Burst Power mode, triggered externally. The trigger signal is generated by the sync channel of the awg 33522A (setup on "carrier" mode to generate a sync pulse per signal pulse).

Now let say I choose a burst of 100 pulse sent at a frequency f=10Hz on the AWG, and a BandWidth=1MHz on the PXA with a sweep duration of 200micros (200 point per trace, ish) and and average trace number of 100.
When the burst is sent, I measure nicely the 100 pulses on the PXA.

But if I increase the frequency to let say 100Hz, I start collecting only 85ish pulses. As the frequency increase I loose more and more pulses.
If I increase the BandWidth, or the sweep duration, i.e the number of points, I loose more and more pulses.

What is the origin of that ? On-board averaging process that slows down the instrument ?
If that is the case what are the automatic checks and process that I can disable to increase the speed of the machine (like auto-BW or burst width measurement) ?

Thanks for your help !

Florent  

Outcomes