AnsweredAssumed Answered

Understanding the status Bytes and Bits

Question asked by wannabegeek on Jun 28, 2013
Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 by Dr_joel
Good day,

I'm programming an HP8510C VNA with gpib and the linux-gpib library.

I am using the ibrsp() function ( actually called rsp() in the python package ) to poll the device for the status bytes, to find out when a single sweep or a single point, has finished.

I am having difficulty in understanding the manual and other resources and could use some concrete examples.

I get the status bytes as a hexidecimal value that I convert to an int. My understanding is that the bytes are int8 ( 0-255)
but my returned hex value only casts into int16. You may not be able to help with that...it just adds confusion.

Anyhow, I get a number from the int16 cast like: 1 or 2 when a measurement is complete.  Sometimes I get an error like an IF overload and that is included somewhere in the status bytes too...

I realize that a single sweep and a single point measurement will have a different status bit set on one of the bytes ( primary or secondary) but I don't know how to decipher the output.

I've played around with the gpib command "OUTPSTAT" and it looks easier to deal with, since it returns something like:
000,000   or  017,000 and 016,000. However, this command fails with a timeout error unless the operation is complete.
I could put the command into a try, catch to overcome this but that's another hack...I hate hacks...That's why I went back to the ibrst() serial poll command.

If a kind soul out there can help me I will be very grateful...I'll be in the lab next week and can post back
pertinent details.

Sorry that my question is vague, I'm still developing a basic understanding.
Cheers  

Outcomes