AnsweredAssumed Answered

Is this "certificate of calibration" a joke, incompetant, or valid?

Question asked by drkirkby on Jun 27, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 1, 2013 by dhamilton
OK, the title probably got you to look at my post! 

My VNA is due for calibration soon, and whilst looking for the cal certificate I come across the calibration certificate I have from "Techmaster Electronics Inc" in the USA for my Agilent 85033E 3.5 mm calibration kit. I was always suspicious this calibration certificate was worthless, as the Agilent 85033E manual says the equipment to verify the performance of the 85033E is not commerically available. But today I looked at the 85033E's calibration certificate in some detail, and was somewhat puzzled by its contents. 

On the off-chance someone from "Techmaster Electronics Inc. is reading this, and wants to comment, I am refering to report #363488, dated 25th May 2012, for Agilent 85033E 3.5 mm calibration kit, S/N MY39203404. 

This is the "standards" used, as listed on the certificate of calibration. 

* 85032B (that is a 6 GHz N cal kit)
* 8340A (that's a 26.5 GHz synthesized sweeper)
* 85151A (linear simulator)
* 8510C (VNA)

Is it me, or is just impossible to calibrate an 85033E 3.5 mm cal kit  using an old N cal kit? Perhaps if they had used an 85052B cal kit with an 85053B verification kit, I might have thought they had at least some hope of verifying 85033E's performance to a *reasonable* degree of uncertainty.  

Am I missing something, or is this cal certificate just an indication they did not know what they were doing? I don't know exactly what the 85151A it, but I doubt it is a 3D modelling program like HFSS from Ansys, EmPro from Agilent, or something else that might model the standards. 

The same outfit calibrated my 8720D. I wonder what sort of job they did of that? The above does not inspire much confidence to me. 

Any comments? 

Dave  

Outcomes