AnsweredAssumed Answered

Rejuvenating a 16902A with a new motherboard

Question asked by libor on May 31, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 by algoss
I have purchased a used 16902A Logic Analyser (with 16950A and 16910A modules). It is one of the earlier models running Windows XP.

Reading through the Service Manual I see it has a plain vanilla microATX PC motherboard built in. I am just wondering if I can replace the motherboard with a state-of-the-art model with a fast processor more RAM and SATA drives (I would attach a small SSD as the system drive) The old has an IDE interface fro the HDD. Would also like to use any USB keyboard and a USB mouse. (I have retired my PS/2 stuff a long time ago) And of course I would like to install Windows 7 on it instead of the unsupported XP. (just would not like to go back in time each time I switch from my PC to the analyzer's screen)

If I got it right the analyser's built-in PC motherboard is connected to the proprietary hardware (the logic analyser part) only thru a PCI card, that must be mechanically and electronically compatible with any new microATX board's PCI slot. It is also encouraging that the manual says that the built-in microATX mobo-s can differ, the newer batches of this same model 16902A had already Windows 7 factory-installed. The renewed model 16902B has more up-to-date motherboards (already with SATA, etc.)

Could you please comment on if my idea is feasible ?   Are there some deliberate hurdles built in (the logic analyzer software is maybe tied somehow to the motherboard model ?) so I cannot rejuvenate my device so easily ?  

Outcomes