AnsweredAssumed Answered

vrf Auto-discover LAN instruments

Question asked by VRFuser on Sep 27, 2008
Latest reply on Sep 27, 2008 by VRFuser
STATUS

There was a bit more work to do with respect to XDR.

The XDR specification (RFC 1014 is the document I'm using) defines not only a wire protocol, but a notational convention used to describe complex types. As I was writing the sunrpc class, it occurred to me that I was needlessly limiting what it could do by building in call sequences to read and write XDR entities. Furthermore, XDR entities can contain other XDR entities and this self-referential schema couldn't be handled by my own implementation.

Therefore, I decided to pile a couple more layers on top of the XDR primitive class. Today's goal is to finish & test XdrEntity, a class responsible for parsing XDR entity specifications & translating them into primitive read and write calls.

The top class will be a light wrapper that manipulates the lower-level APIs.

The current sunrpc work is simplified by this decision. I didn't really waste any time, just decided to rearrange things a little.

In the end, I don't think I'll get to talking to instruments today. I can spend another four hours or so on this, then I have to switch back to real work. Sunday needs real work done too.

So, talking to instruments will have to wait until next weekend.
-SHAWN-

Outcomes